IT Systems Administrator
|Job Title:||IT Systems Administrator|
|Location:||Brighton, East Sussex|
|Salary:||£30000 - £35000 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Sammons Group|
|Job Published:||April 26, 2021 10:58|
Position: IT Systems Administrator
This a fantastic opportunity for a IT Systems Administrator to join a leading educational institution based in Brighton.
This role is responsible for providing specialist expertise for effective and secure day-to-day operations. The development of services delivered by the infrastructure core service team across the institute's IT network. Maintain and enhance the service.
You will also develop and maintain excellent working relationships and be an advocate for IT in a complex, organisation with an annual budget in excess of £200M.
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000
Core Activities, Duties and Key Tasks
- To use specialist technical knowledge and understanding of the university systems to monitor and keep under review the core IT technical services, to proactively detect and resolve issues. Using own initiative and judgement, working with colleagues and external agencies, to investigate and conduct operational problem determination analysis, fault diagnoses, tracking and problem resolution, especially in sustaining prevailing service level agreements.
- Use specialist methods and procedures to technically administer, manage, and develop the enterprise-level IT On-Premise and Cloud / Hybrid IT infrastructure. Specifically including Storage Area Networks (SANs), server virtualisation, server operating systems, server application platforms, backup systems, operational monitoring tools and other related hardware and software.
- To provide specialist professional technical advice and recommendations to colleagues and external agencies in the use and operation of the university's core infrastructure server and storage services, including using own judgement and initiative in fault diagnoses, IT equipment installations, maintenance and configuration.
- To maintain the security of the datacentres' and server systems to recommend where appropriate necessary security improvements, especially in the implementation of the university's security policies.
- To ensure the continuous operation of the data centres and the enterprise systems supported within them. Ensuring the environmental, safety and security systems, are properly designed and maintained with particular reference to access control, uninterrupted power, fire control and cooling.
- To backup, restore and baseline recovery of essential data and mission critical university services including use of offsite storage.
- Use own judgement and initiative to prioritise and plan the implementation of IT infrastructure projects and new service developments as required, advising, managing and liaising with colleagues at all levels and external suppliers in order to achieve this.
- To collaborate with the Service Desk during office hours, and act independently out of hours, with colleagues across the Department and beyond, providing IT technical subject matter expert specialist advice in the resolution of incidents and problems.
- To plan and implement service change requests and ensure that management and appropriate Information Services personnel are informed of significant service outages and progress to resolution.
- To make technical recommendations for improvements and resolutions to ensure efficient operation of and to improve the IT datacentre infrastructure, server, storage and backup services.
- To ensure consistency, commonality and compliance with established standards of services and ensure correct accurate record keeping. To maintain and improve IT systems administrative records, technical documentation, specification and procedures by developing, validating, reviewing and updating operational procedures and documentation for all the services.
- To assist in the training, development and mentoring of less experienced colleagues, peers and other staff as necessary.
- A degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent practical experience in a Systems Administration role.
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) or equivalent practical experience.
We endeavour to reply to all applications. However if you have not heard from us within 7 days you have been unsuccessful with this particular role. You are very welcome to apply to future advertisements placed by The Sammons Group.
The Sammons Group is an Employment Business and Employment Agency as defined by the EAA Regulations 2003, and we abide by the Code of Practice of our industry body (the Recruitment & Employment Confederation - REC).
We are committed to supporting and promoting diversity in the workplace, and welcome applications from candidates regardless of age, belief, disability, ethnic origin/nationality, gender/gender reassignment, marital/civil partnership status, pregnancy/maternity, or sexual orientation - we recruit on the basis of talent. If you require reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We regret that as a recruitment consultancy we are unable to seek visas for applicants not holding current entitlement to work in the UK.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's