A Junior Quantity Surveyor/Estimator is required for a thriving company due to an increasing workload to primarily take control of the estimating, but to also work closely with other members of the professional team in a very busy multi-disciplined office.
Most schemes tend to be located in the East Sussex and Kent areas but also nationally, ranging from £6M to £20M in value.
The company comprises a small and friendly team of talented, multi-disciplined and dynamic professional people who work together to cover every aspect of the process. Full support and any further training will ensure the successful applicant grows and establishes their position for the long term. Salaries are commensurate with experience, ability and success and will grow as the individual becomes established. The management culture is success-led but it is highly supportive. If the talent is there, this position will quickly evolve and move upwards.
The Junior QS/Estimator will assist and produce priced tenders and budgets and viabilities that are accurate, clearly detailed, and competitive and which can be returned within specified deadlines. Good relationships will need to be maintained with prospective clients and consultant professionals to promote further tender invitations and provide clearly identified price build-ups. The desired outcome being that the company will achieve sufficient new work to enable continued growth.
- Provide accurate budgets/cost plans, viabilities and budgets.
- Provide a detailed take-offs and Bills of Quantities (B of Q).
- Work on traditional Plans and Specifications, and Contracts.
- Obtain competitive prices for materials and sub-contract packages.
- Oversee or complete quote analysis comparisons.
- Check and amend rate/price build-ups where necessary.
- Prepare tender build-ups for internal adjudication and carry out adjustments where necessary.
- Prepare and collate relevant information/documentation for handover meetings.
- Discuss clients' requirements for pre-tender meetings, and present and answer all questions regarding cost of works.
- Participate in post-tender meetings with clients and other members of the team.
- The ideal candidate should have a Degree or a Higher National Certificate in Surveying and/or Construction/Building or equivalent.
- Must have some experience in the construction industry, demonstrating numerical accuracy in a previous role, or through further education. In return, the employee will be given the opportunity to be trained and progress their career in quantity surveying - an area of construction which offers excellent career prospects and higher than average salaries for the industry.
- Must be a driving license holder with their own car.
- Knowledge of building, material components, building regulations, estimating (including labour and material take-offs) and Health and Safety.
- Management skills - basic programming, planning, and compiling of reports.
- Word processing and computer skills for record keeping/data entry and report writing - a sound knowledge of Word and Excel is essential.
- Knowledge of contractual procedures and responsibilities.
- Good negotiation, influencing and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and reasoning abilities.
- Good organisation skills and attention to detail.
- Highly numerate and able to accurately manipulate numerical information.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work alone or within a team.
- Be able to work as part of a small and multi-disciplined professional team.
If you feel that this role doesn't match your skills and expertise, please visit our website for a variety of Permanent, Temporary and Contract vacancies.
We endeavour to reply to all applications. However if you have not heard from us within 7 days you have been unsuccessful with this particular role. You are very welcome to apply to future advertisements placed by The Sammons Group.
The Sammons Group is an Employment Business and Employment Agency as defined by the EAA Regulations 2003, and we abide by the Code of Practice of our industry body (the Recruitment & Employment Confederation - REC).
We are committed to supporting and promoting diversity in the workplace, and welcome applications from candidates regardless of age, belief, disability, ethnic origin/nationality, gender/gender reassignment, marital/civil partnership status, pregnancy/maternity, or sexual orientation - we recruit on the basis of talent. If you require reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We regret that as a recruitment consultancy we are unable to seek visas for applicants not holding current entitlement to work in the UK.