Senior Project Controller in the electronic systems department - 6 month contract (Maybe extended). The company are a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Purpose of Position
Senior Project Controller is a wide ranging role that interfaces with a number of key project stakeholders across the business, but primarily with Project Managers, Control Account Managers and Project Managers.
The principle purpose of the role is to: Support assigned Project Manager(s), to promote good planning practice and ensure scope, schedule & budget adherence. Monitor, report & flag concerns, exceptions and issues through recognised escalation routes, along with proposed solutions.
- Work with assigned Project Manager(s) to scope project requirements and maintain resourced & time phased schedules (&baselines) with critical paths to help ensure that all tasks are complete and milestones are achieved on target and within budget.
- Carry out Schedule Risk Analysis and Critical Path Analysis on schedules as required within assigned projects.
- Review inputs with budget holders and submit updated forecasts to financial system. Agree identified variances and progress solutions with assigned Project Manager(s) and Project Accountant.
- Track all expenditure on assigned projects, analyse spending trends and estimate final costs, reporting any deviation from baseline.
- Generate Earned Value reports at the required frequency and review & address identified variances with assigned Project Manager(s) and Project Accountant.
- Ensure resource demand and supply (headcount) data in plans accurately reflects requirements.
- Challenge demands with assigned Project Manager(s) and other key stakeholders where necessary.
- Provide resource profile output from schedules into the resource management system used by the business.
- Create and maintain risk registers.
- Organise and facilitate regular risk reviews with risk owners and track mitigation actions.
- Include mitigation actions in plans and schedules as part of performance measurement baselines.
- Escalate, as necessary, extraordinary risk & issue impacts to project constraints that could adversely affect project success.
- Organise and facilitate regular project progress reviews with team, track progress and generate associated metrics.
- Ensure that a performance measurement baseline is produced and maintained for each assigned project.
- Good working knowledge of project lifecycles, phases and governance.
- Able to contribute effectively to project governance activities by critically analysing project health in terms of project scope, schedule, risk and key project metrics.
- Support bids by providing schedules, resource demand and costing/estimates for the bid opportunity and the activities related to bid execution in line with the Project Capture Process (PCP) Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Essential Technical Skills:
- Can create, maintain and report project schedules using Microsoft Project, and use EVM to effectively manage and report progress on a project.
- Has a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Can create, maintain and report risks using a risk management tool (such as Active Risk Manager (ARM)), and carry out Schedule Risk Analysis using risk management tool & Microsoft Project.
- Applicants should have demonstrable experience of working in a controlled project environment and would be expected to assume the behaviours and responsibilities summarised below while supporting a portfolio of projects of medium to high complexity.
- Have a solid understanding of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to provide quality support to assigned projects.
- Be flexible with a service delivery mind-set, providing ad-hoc support and undertaking additional activities as required (within an agreed level of support budget) to provide a quality service to assigned projects.
- Is required to produce high quality work on time and is recognised as contributing to the success of assigned projects, demonstrating their expertise to project team members.
- Is professional in appearance and demeanour, has very good verbal and written communication skills, very good negotiation skills, and demonstrates very good logical thinking skills.
- Supports and contributes to improvement initiatives.
- Is familiar with the principles behind Project Controller competencies and can apply them in situations without needing supervision or guidance.
- Typically requires degree level education, and a wide range of relevant experience, or equivalent.
We endeavour to reply to all applications. However if you have not heard from us within 7 days you have been unsuccessful with this particular role. You are very welcome to apply to future advertisements placed by The Sammons Group.
The Sammons Group is an Employment Business and Employment Agency as defined by the EAA Regulations 2003, and we abide by the Code of Practice of our industry body (the Recruitment & Employment Confederation - REC).
We are committed to supporting and promoting diversity in the workplace, and welcome applications from candidates regardless of age, belief, disability, ethnic origin/nationality, gender/gender reassignment, marital/civil partnership status, pregnancy/maternity, or sexual orientation - we recruit on the basis of talent. If you require reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We regret that as a recruitment consultancy we are unable to seek visas for applicants not holding current entitlement to work in the UK.